Code of Conduct Implementation and Enforcement
for technical communities such as open source projects, user groups, and conferences
What I offer
I can help you create an effective code of conduct education and enforcement program for your technical community. Project options include:
- drafting a code of conduct that incorporates your community’s values and best practices for safety and enforcement
- reviewing your code of conduct to ensure it includes the elements needed to enforce it in a fair and effective way
- teaching you how to communicate with community members and event participants about the code of conduct and their role in supporting it
- creating a reporting procedure for handling information about potential code of conduct violations
- creating an incident response plan that covers what to do when a code of conduct violation occurs, as well as other kinds of emergency or crisis situations
- designing a training program on enforcing your code of conduct, for use with those responsible for reports and other responsible community members
Who are these services for?
I work with the leaders and organizers of technical communities to help support the work you do in your community. You should already understand why diversity is important to your community, and be actively working on creating a more inclusive environment for participation. You either have already added a code of conduct, or are in the process of evaluating the best way to do so.
Why work with me?
I have 5 years of experience with code of conduct implementation and enforcement for open source projects and events. I’m one of the authors of the Citizen Code of Conduct in use by Open Source Bridge and many other communities and events. In addition, I bring over ten years experience organizing tech community spaces, including user groups, open source projects, and conferences. Plus nearly 20 years experience participating in open source communities.
How do we get started?
Email me and we’ll talk!